Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Act 49/100

Today I'm grateful for...

The words I've found to share
on this blog the last 49 days.
Most days it's easy.
Other days it's hard,
but I've always found 
something to stay.

The Word...

1 Nephi 1:1
"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days."

This is probably one of the scriptures
that I've read the most since
in my younger days I would
start reading the Book of Mormon
and then stop for a while and
then start back at the beginning.

Nephi is one of my heros.
I often feel like he and I have
 a lot in common.
We were both born of 
goodly parents.
We both learned from our parents.
I can't say as I have had as many
afflictions as he has, but
I have certainly found strength
as I've read of his afflictions
and how he relies on the Lord.
I too have been highly favored of the Lord.
I have had and continue to have a
fabulous beautiful life.
I have been able to learn and grow
in the Gospel and receive
personal revelation where I have
 learned new and important things.
I like to record what's going on 
in my life to record the things
I learn and my testimony 
of the Gospel.

On my heart...


Today we were just getting to the zoo,
when we were informed that there was
an animal loose, so we had to go 
indoors until they could get
the animal safely inside again.
So we went and hung out
in the gift shop waiting.

About an hour later, they
had the situation under
control and we were able
to go enjoy our time there.

Apparently an Amur Leopard
had somehow gotten out of her
enclosure and was sleeping on 
top of a ledge near by.
She wasn't running around 
terrorizing the people.
She was taking a nap in the sun.

The zoo staff got everyone
into the safety of buildings
and then tranquilized her
and took her inside.
They said she would probably
sleep a good portion of the day.

For me the interesting part
was the people's reaction
both during and after 
this situation happened.

Some people were fine.
They were just waiting for
the all clear from the staff to
go finish enjoying their day.

There were some kids in 
the gift shop with us that were
terrified that the leopard or 
another animal would come 
after them while they were 
at the zoo.

Another group of kids
stood by the windows
hoping for the leopard
to run by so they could see it.

A good number of people
complained a good portion
of the time that this was 
a waste of their day at
the zoo.

Later when we were walking
around the zoo,
I heard a teenager
telling his family that
if that thing came running
at him, he would take it down.

Lots of people were getting
text messages and phone calls
from loved ones, making sure
they were okay.

Lots of people were also
excited to tell about their adventures
at the zoo today.

So many different choices people made
in the same situation.
Today I was listening to a book
by Kris Krohn.
I can't remember exactly what
it is called.
Something like the 6 Laws
of Conscious Creation.
In it a character was saying
how so many people let their
thoughts control them
instead of them controlling
their thoughts.
It made me think of what
happened today at the zoo.
How many of us were letting 
our thoughts and fears get
away from us?
How many of us were
choosing to take the good
out of the situation?
It's like a scripture in 2 Nephi,
I believe, where Lehi is talking
about how we were created to
act and not to be acted upon.

So many times, I forget
that I am in control of
my thoughts and actions.
I just let things happen to me
instead of taking action.
I don't consciously think
about my thoughts.
I just let them loose
to run wild.

I have a choice.
To let things happen
to me and to just react.
Or I can act and take
control of my thoughts.
That won't necessarily
change the circumstances,
but it will change my reaction
to them and I'll be all
the better for it.

I love my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment