Sunday, July 3, 2016

Father's Day (Later post:0) 75/100

Gratitude


I'm so grateful for this
amazing man in my life!
He has always been a 
quiet example to me.
There was a time when
I made a hard, huge
decision in my life.
He was the one who
didn't question me
about if it was the
right choice,
instead he supported
me by giving me 
priesthood blessings
when I needed them.
I'm grateful for his support
and example in my life!
I'm so grateful that L
has a grandpa to look up to!

The Word

Alma 53:10-22
"And now behold, I have somewhat to say concerning the people of Ammon, who, in the beginning, were Lamanites; but by Ammon and his brethren, or rather by the powerna dword of God, they had been converted unto the Lord; and they had been brought down into the land of Zarahemla, and had ever since been protected by the Nephites.

"And because of their oath they had been kept from taking up arms against their brethren; for they had taken an oath that they never would shed blood more; and according to their oath they would have perished; yea, they would have suffered themselves to have fallen into the hands of their brethren, had it not bee for the pity and the exceeding love which Ammon and his brethren had had for them.

"And for this cause they were brought down into the land of Zarahemla; and they ever had been protected by the Nephites.

"But it came to pass that when they saw the danger, and the many afflictions and tribulations which the Nephites bore for them, they were moved with compassion and were desirous to take up arms in the defence of their country.

"But behold, as they were about to take their weapons of war, they were overpowered by the persuasions of Helaman and his brethren, for they were about to break the oath which they had made.

"And Helaman feared lest by so doing they should lose their souls; there for all those who had entered into this covenant were compelled to behold their brethren wade through their afflictions, in their dangerous circumstances at this time.

"But behold, it came to pass they had many sons, who had not entered into a covenant that they would not take their weapons of war to defend themselves against their enemies; therefore they did assemble themselves together at this time, as many as were able to take up arms, and they called themselves Nephites.

"And they entered into a covenant to fight for the liberty of the Nephites, yea, to protect the land unto the laying down of their lives; yea, even they covenanted that they never would give up their liberty, but they would fight in all cases to protect the Nephites and themselves from bondage.

"Now behold, there were two thousand of those young men, who entered into this covenant and took their weapons of war to defend their country.

"And now behold, as they never had hitherto been a disadvantage to the Nephites, they became now at this period of time also a great support; for they took their weapons of war, and they would that Helaman should be their leader.

"And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all--they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.

"Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him.

"And now it came to pass that Helaman did march at the head of his two thousand stripling soldiers, to the support of the people in the borders of the land on the south by the west sea."

On my heart...

So I had wanted to write this post 
back on Father's Day,
but I was so tired,
I said I would do it the next day.
I of course did not remember,
so I'm sharing it today!

We hear a lot about the mothers
of the stripling warriors
and how they taught their sons,
but what about their fathers?

Their fathers lead and taught 
them by example.
They had made a covenant with
the Lord when they buried their
weapons of war and promised
never to take them back up
or to kill another again.

Even when faced with death.
In Alma 24 we read of how
they buried their weapons
and then were faced with 
the Lamanites coming to 
kill them.
They chose not to take
up their weapons again.
Instead they didn't fight.
one thousand and five of 
the people of Ammon
were killed that day.

In the scripture above,
they see the afflictions of
the Nephites as they fight 
the Lamanites and they want 
to help, but Helaman 
reminds them of their covenant.

They show their sons by
example to be covenant keeping
sons of God
and to follow the words of
the prophet.

I can only imagine how
hard it was for them to
send their young sons
into battle to fight for
their freedoms.
I can imagine the tears,
the words of wisdom
coming from these fathers.
They loved their sons.
They wanted them to stand
strong and righteous.
I'm sure while these sons were gone,
their fathers worried and 
prayed for their sons.

Later on in Alma it
talks about how 
they were sent provisions
and a few more young men
to join their numbers.
I can imagine their
fathers doing the only
thing they could do to 
support their sons,
Bringing them provisions.
Checking up on them.
Maybe imparting some 
more wisdom.

I love this story 
and thinking about these
valiant, covenant keeping
fathers is such a joy
for me.

I too was blessed with an
amazing father,
who taught me with his example!
I also know that MHG 
will be a great example 
for our children.

I love my life!
God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment