Friday, May 6, 2016

Happiness 17/100

Today I am thankful for...

I'm so thankful for my nice comfy bed today.
I can't wait to go crawl in and go to sleep.

The Word...



2 Nephi 2:25, "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
It seems like I am often searching at least to some degree for happiness and joy in our lives. Our Heavenly Father created me to have joy and happiness, but so often I get weighed down by worldly cares and think that I'll finally get to be happy if I can just get to a certain station in life or if I can just accomplish this one goal. But that's not really how it works. That makes me end up feeling depressed and miserable. I get to work on finding joy along the way!

On my heart...

I've been thinking a lot today about the 
scripture I shared yesterday, Col. 3:23,
"And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as
to the Lord, and not unto men."
I've been thinking about all the things
that I don't do heartily.
My calling...
I'm the Senior Primary chorister.
I have had a hard time doing anything
in primary. I keep complaining that
I have to deal with kids everyday as
a teacher and Sunday is the only day
I really get a day where I won't do
any work for school.
I keep telling myself that I need to
stop the complaining, but so far
I haven't done it...
I really want to learn to do it
"heartily" and to have fun with it.
It's all about my attitude I know.

Thinking about this also reminded
me of a book I read.
I think it was called "The Practice
of the Presence of God." by Brother Lawrence.
It was a book written back in the 1600s
that told of a monk who lived his 
life always doing his best to think of 
God and do everything, even jobs he
didn't like, for the love of God.

I think that in order to do things
"heartily" I get to think of doing
everything, even the things I 
don't enjoy, for the love of God.
What will this change of perspective
do for me in my day?

I think it will help me to see
His grace in the ordinary.
It would enable me to be free
and to be full of happiness and life.
I would do my best job all the time,
not just a mediocre job that is just 
passing or just getting it done.
Now I'd like to add that I don't feel
like doing this means that I will 
have to give in to my perfectionism
and feel guilt about not getting it perfect.
It means that I will do my best and 
rely on His grace to make up
for my imperfections.

If I can work on this
I will be able to find happiness
along the way of my journey!

God is Good! He wants us to be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment